International Workshop on Biomembranes - From Fundamentals to Applications
An International workshop on bio-membranes. Topics from fundamental theory to experiments and applications are covered.
- Membrane-Protein Interactions
- Modeling techniques (free energy, HPC, CG)
- Elasticity, Undulations
- Sterols (structure, phase behavior)
- Diffusion and transport in bilayers and membranes
- John Katsaras, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (USA): Membrane Lateral Organization and the Location of Biomolecules in Lipid Bilayers
- Frank Brown, University of California Santa Barbara (USA)
- Rich Pastor, NIH (USA): Curvature Induction by Peptides in Bilayers (the lipids matter)
- Bert de Groot, Max Planck Institute for Biophysica Chemistry, Göttingen (GER): Permeation mechanisms across biological membranes
- Regis Pomes, University of Toronto (CAN)
- Alex Sodt, NIH (USA), Methods and model systems for computing membrane curvature free energetics
- Drew Bennett, University of Waterloo (CAN)
- Giulia Rossi, Genoa
- Adam Smith, University of Akron: Electrostatic coupling of anionic phospholipids and polycationic macromolecules by PIE-FCCS
- Evan Evans, Boston U and Duke U
- Dimitrios Stamou, Copenhagen: Can the individual make a difference? Examples from single molecules and single signalling clusters in biology
- Matthew Turner, University of Warwick (UK): Curvature related composition variation and fluctuations: origins and interpretations.
- Martin Förstner (Syracuse Physics), The role of Ca2+ in the organization of lipid membranes
- Elina Ikonen, Helsinki Univ.
Dr. Edward Lyman, Physics, U. Delware, USA http://lymangroup.physics.udel.edu
Dr. Ilpo Vattulainen, Physics, Tampere U. of Technology, Finland http://www.tut.fi/en/about-tut/departments/physics/research/computational-physics/biological-physics/index.htm
Dr. Roland Faller, Chemical Eng, U. California, Davis, USA http://www.chms.ucdavis.edu/research/web/faller/
Dr. Mikko Karttunen, Chemistry, U. Waterloo, Canada http://www.softsimu.org
Dr. Jan Åström, CSC, Finland
Date:19.08.2014 13:00 - 22.08.2014 12:00
Instructions: If you wish to use your own laptop, please use one of the breaks to check that it connects with the projector. You can also bring your talk (pdf, Powerpoint, LibreOffice) on a memory stick and use our computer.
Invited talks:40 mins + 10 mins for discussion.
Conference dinner on Thursday Aug 21 will be at Restaurant Chapman located in the historic
Music, arts, etc: Helsinki Festival is on from Aug 15-31 with lots of great events.
Conference program (changes possible)
15:10 – 15:40: Coffee break
Session Chair: Matthew Turner
10:40 – 11:10 Coffee break
Session Chair: Giulia Rossi
12:10 – 13:30: Lunch
14:50 – 15:20: Coffee break
Session Chair: Alex Sodt
16:40 – 16:55: Contributed: Hanif Muhammad Khan, Bergen, NOR
09:20 – 11:30: Coffee and posters
Session Chair: Ed Lyman
14:00 – 14:30: Coffee break
19:00 - Conference dinner at Restaurant Chapman in Suomenlinna Fortress
10:40 – 11:10: Coffee break
Session Chair: Ilpo Vattulainen
Invoice reference number
The 'Invoice reference
number' in the registration document is only for the benefit of your own
institution to recognise the invoice, so that they can e.g. charge the fee from some particular project. If your institution does not need
it, just fill in something such as "N/A" or "-". Participants from non-Finnish, European institutions should also provide their institutions' VAT number in the field.
Hotel / accommodation suggestions:
In Helsinki via Booking.com: http://www.booking.com/city/fi/helsinki.en.html
In Espoo via ebookers: http://www.ebookers.fi/hotellit/Suomi/Espoo.hd27768/
Hostels in Helsinki: http://www.booking.com/city/fi/helsinki.en.html
Airbnb Helsinki: https://www.airbnb.com/s/helsinki?source=bb
Airbnb in Otaniemi campus (~walking distance): https://www.airbnb.com/s/otaniemi